Windows Hosting Platform Databases
Types of supported Windows databases
|Microsoft Access||An easy-to-use database application that integrates with many Microsoft Office products. Access is a good choice if you want to use data from an existing Microsoft Office product or if you do not have large amounts of data.|
|Microsoft Visual FoxPro 7.0||A database application designed for building desktop, client/server, and Web database applications. Visual FoxPro is able to manage fairly large volumes of data.|
|Microsoft SQL Server||A complete database and data analysis software package. It is highly scalable and well-suited to complex E-commerce sites and enterprise applications. Microsoft SQL Server databases are hosted on a dedicated MS SQL server to ensure optimal use of resources and faster performance.|
Microsoft Access and Microsoft FoxPro DSNs
If you are on the Windows hosting platform, you may use your own Microsoft Access database.
To upload a Microsoft Access database
- Create a Microsoft Access database on your local computer. An Access filename should have the ".mdb" extension.
- Connect to your FTP to upload the Access database file to your server's database folder.
- For example, using the an FTP tool, we see a folder called "database" in the root directory of your web server.
- Open the "database" folder on the server-side.
- Locate the Access database file in your computer (the local-side) and transfer it into the server-side "database" folder.
- If you would like to use a DSN for your MS Access database, then please refer to the instructions here.
Order Microsoft SQL Server Database
If you are on the Windows hosting platform, you may order a Microsoft SQL database in SiteControl. Depending on your plan, there may be an additional fee.
When you order a Microsoft SQL Server database, you are prompted for the database name and password. Once you submit your order, you will be provided with the name of the Microsoft SQL Server which will host your database. You will need the server name, as well as your database user name and password, to upload and connect to your Microsoft SQL Server database.
To order a Microsoft SQL database
- Sign in to SiteControl.
- Go to Manage Services tab.
- Go to Website section.
- Scroll down, find and click the Microsft SQL Sever link. You can also click Microsft SQL Sever in the left navigation panel in SiteControl.
- On Microsoft SQL Server page, select the proper domain name from the Currently Managing drop-down menu.
- Click Activate.
- In the Purchase and Name Microsoft SQL Server Database page, enter the Database name, the User Name, and the Password.
Note that database names must be between 2 and 14 characters long, and can only contain letters, numbers, and an underscore ("_"). Username must be at least 2 characters and can only consist of letters, numbers, dashes ('-') or underscores ('_'). Passwords must be at least 6 characters long and contain at least one digit or punctuation symbol.
- Click Create Database.
- Click Purchase Now.
- A Request(s) Successfully Received message would appear.
- If you would like to use a DSN for your MS SQL database, then please refer to the instructions here.