404 Error Customization and FAQ
On any given Web server, numerical codes are used to represent various server (or Web site) errors. The 404 error represents a Web site's failure to find a page sought by a visitor. Generally, there are two causes for a 404 error:
- the page does not exist at all
- the page name was misspelled by the visitor on his/her browser (or by you in your Web development tool).
The 404 error page is thus the Web page that displays on a browser whenever the error is triggered.
You do not necessarily need to customize this page, as the default 404 page already exists and informs visitors that a "file could not be found". However, the use of this tool is an opportunity for you to not only tailor the message to your specific audience, but also add design and navigation elements that previously did not exist.
To enable 404 Error Customization:
- Sign in to SiteControl.
- Go to Manage Services tab.
- Go to Website section.
- Scroll down, find and click the 404 Error Customization link. You can also click 404 Error Customization in the left navigation panel in SiteControl.
- On the Custom 404 Overview page, select the proper domain name from the Currently Managing drop-down menu.
- The 404 Error Customization page appears. Click Activate.
- In the Create 404 Error Page, enter a page title. Ex. Example Error Page.
- You can also edit your Custom 404 page by clicking and typing in one of the three individual sections of our 404 editor.
- Click Continue.
- A confirmation message appears letting you know that you have successfully activated your 404 Error page.
404 Error Mini FAQ
To what extent can I customize it?
- Change the title/header of the page.
- Change the error message (including the use of HTML).
- Add up to four links.
- Add/delete an image file.
Please note that you do not have COMPLETE control over the look and feel of the 404 page using this tool. However, it is possible to have complete control by bypassing this tool and downloading the actual 404 page itself (missing.html), with which you can then edit with your favorite HTML editor and upload back onto the server.
In future releases of the 404 Error Customization tool you will be provided additional customization options.
Can I use HTML?
Yes, you can use HTML when entering the error message in the 404 error customization editor. Please note that nowhere else will you be able to use HTML coding in the editor.
Can I add an image to the 404 page? Where does it go?
Yes, the 404 Error Customization editor includes an upload tool for this purpose. When you upload an image file using the editor, it creates a folder in your Web directory called "404_page_images" and places all image files into that folder.
Will it work on any browser?
Yes, any browser will be able to recognize the conditions under which a 404 error is triggered and in turn display the 404 error page (whether customized or not).
What is the name of the actual 404 page? What if I accidentally delete it?
The filename of the 404 error page is missing.html and is located in the main Web directory. If you used the 404 Error Customization tool to edit the page and accidentally deleted it, then simply return to the 404 Error Customization editor in your control panel and click Update button; the last known update should already be visible. Even if you didn't use the tool, you can still recreate the page by using the tool.
Can I use it in conjunction with Website Builder?
Yes, in fact, it can be used in conjunction with any Web design development tool since the 404 Error tool only affects the missing.html page.