You can install Office 2016 for Mac if your work has an Office 365 subscription that includes the desktop versions of the Office apps.
If you've already tried to install or activate Office 2016 for Mac, but weren't successful, check if your Mac meets the minimum system requirements at System requirements for Office, or see What to try if you can't install or activate Office 2016 for Mac using Office 365 for business.
This article contains the following sections:
- Download and install Office 2016 for Mac
- Launch an Office for Mac app and start the activation process
- Installation Notes
- Can I install Office 2016 for Mac and Office 2011 for Mac on the same computer?
- How do I pin the Office app icons to the dock?
- Can I install Office on my iPhone or iPad?
Download and install Office 2016 for Mac
- Sign in with your work account here.
- On the Office page, under Install Office 2016 for Mac, select Install to begin downloading the installer package.
- Once the download has completed, open Finder, go to Downloads, and double-click Microsoft_Office_2016_Installer.pkg. (The name might vary slightly.)
Tip: If you see an error that the Microsoft_Office_2016_Installer.pkg can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer, wait 10 seconds and then try double-clicking the installer package again. If you are stuck at the Verifying…. progress bar, close or cancel the progress bar and try again.
- On the first installation screen, select Continue to begin the installation process.
- Review the software license agreement, and then click Continue.
- Select Agree to agree to the terms of the software license agreement.
- Review the disk space requirements, and then click Install.
- Enter your Mac login password, if prompted, and then click Install Software. (This is the password that you use to log in to your Mac.)
- The software begins to install. Click Close when the installation is finished. If Office installation fails, see What to try if you can't install or activate Office 2016 for Mac using Office 365 for business.
Launch an Office for Mac app and start the activation process
- Click the Launchpad icon in the Dock to display all your apps.
- Click the Microsoft Word icon in the Launchpad.
- The What's New window opens automatically when you launch Word. Click Get Started to start activating. If you need help activating Office, see Activate Office 2016 for Mac. If Office activation fails, see What to try if you can't install or activate Office 2016 for Mac using Office 365 for business.
Keep in mind:
- You may need to check in with your organization's technical support team before installing apps.
- If you're not sure you have a license to install Office 2016 for Mac, see What Office 365 business product or license do I have?
Can I install Office 2016 for Mac and Office 2011 for Mac on the same computer?
- Yes, you can install and use Office 2016 for Mac and Office 2011 for Mac at the same time; however, we recommend that you uninstall Office 2011 for Mac before you install the new version just to prevent any confusion.
- To uninstall Office for Mac 2011, follow the steps in Uninstall Office 2011 for Mac.
How do I pin the Office app icons to the dock?
- Go to Finder > Applications and open the Office app you want.
- In the Dock, Control+click or right-click the app icon and choose Options > Keep in Dock.